วันพุธที่ 8 พฤษภาคม พ.ศ. 2556
Yam Nua Yang (Spicy Thai Grilled Beef Salad)
For the Beef and Marinade:
- 1 beef flank steak (1 1/4 to 1 1/2 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons asain fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger , minced fresh
For the Dressing:
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 to 6 Thai, bird, seranno, or japapeno chiles, thinly sliced (for a milder dressing, seed the chiles)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons asain fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice , fresh
To Finish The Salad:
- 1 head lettuce , Boston or Bibb, separated into leaves, rinsed and spun dry
- 1 cucumber , peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 sweet onion , small, such as Maui or Vidalla, very thinly sliced
- 12 cherry tomatoes , cut in half
- 12 mint leaves , fresh
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, fresh
- 1/4 cup peanut , dry-roasted, coarsely chopped
1. Lightly score the flank steak in a crosshatch pattern, making the cuts 1/4 inch deep. Place the meat in a glass baking dish. Combine the soy sauce, fish sauce, sugar, garlic, and ginger in a mixing bowl and whisk until the sugar dissolves. Pour this mixture over the steak and let marinate, covered, in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or as long as 8, turning several times.
2. Preheat the grill to high.
3. Prepare the dressing. Grind the garlic, chiles, and sugar to a paste in a mortar with a pestle. Work in the fish sauce and lemon juice. Alternatively, the dressing ingredients can be pur้ed in a blender.
4. Prepare the salad. Line a platter with the lettuce leaves and arrange the cucumber slices, onion, cherry tomatoes, and mint leaves (if using) on top.
5. When ready to cook, drain the steak. Oil the grill grate, then place the steak on the hot grate and grill until cooked to taste (4 to 6 minutes per side for medium-rare), using tongs to turn. Transfer the steak to a cutting board and let cool slightly or completely. The salad can be served warm or at room temperature. Thinly slice the steak across the grain on the diagonal. Spoon the dressing over the salad and arrange the beef slices on top. Sprinkle with the cilantro and roasted peanuts and serve.